- Have worked on designs of a variety of energy-efficient houses.
- Co-authored “Passivhaus and a Gradual Approach to Efficiency in Maine”
Conference Proceedings: 15th International Passive House Conference 2011
- Invented a highly efficient removable double pane, plastic film
interior storm window; More than 5,000 have been built, by individuals,
non-profits, and by two companies, one of them my own.
- Well-established ability to create new metrics and ways of looking
- Strong ability to explain the intricacies of energy interactions in
a house to those who little or no experience in the energy field; Able
to break down matters of physics to common-language basics.
- Skilled in unit factor analysis, which I see as the nuts and bolts
of energy auditing, and which is applicable to many other fields.
- Personally designed own energy-efficient house heated by less than
two cords of wood annually.
- Extensive experience in website design, including secure sites and
- Extensive experience in training, both in the computer and
- Developed very strong skills in moderating and consensus-building
by serving three terms as president of Midcoast Green Collaborative.
- Knowledge of more than a dozen computer languages; Highly skilled at
learning new computer languages.
- Eighteen years experience designing and writing computer code and
- Able to work effectively on a team or in an individual situation
B.A. Mathematics, minor in Computer Science
Self-started company focused on helping customers build energy-efficient
house or to improve the energy-efficiency of their own; Joined a local
non-profit group (Midcoast Green Collaborative) which is working to bring
green businesses to Maine; Work with another renewable-energy expert doing
energy audits for houses, advising on passivhaus and other cutting edge
building methods, and co-authoring articles in professional journals;
Developed a spreadsheet to do energy audits, and energy analysis for
building plans, including air leakage, moisture analysis, and monetary
predictions for various proposed changes.
1992 - 2004
(acquired by ACI Worldwide)
Worked on a risk management system, and an international just-in-time
system, for company writing financial software for electronics funds
transfers; System was part Cobol, and partly a proprietary data base system;
Participated in changeover to Java-based system
Completely re-wrote computer systems, which included order entry, inventory
control, accounts receivable, and shipping system; Coordinated purchasing
hardware to support this. I worked extensively with the users; System ran
problem-free for a decade.
1986 - 1989
(acquired by L-3 Communications)
Worked on Ada Compiler; did compiler code generation and documentation
tools, on the test suite, and installed that and ran it at the client's site
in Japan; Wrote a linker/locator for backbone Internet servers; Wrote a set
of advanced mathematics routines for fixed point numbers; Wrote a
disassembler for code in embedded processors in automobiles.